Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Here by popular (well-facebook demand) ;)

So after posting lots of yummy food shots on facebook, I have been requested by several, yes several...(actually a lot) of my friends and relatives to start a food blog.  And while I am here trying out blogger.com (I typed booger.com first and giggled and then backed it out, because I am that silly booger on a food blog made me laugh-- booger haha) 

So, those of you that are still reading after I typed booger four times now on my first ever food blog...

here goes nothing! Nothing but food that is! (no boogers here in my kitchen for real that would be gross!)

My first post is in honor of my good patience friends, that have been waiting on this recipe.  Jackie, my sweet encouraging friend whom I go to church with and my biggest photography business supporter (thank you Jackie!!!) and Liz whom I blog with else where's (hope you don't mind joining me here for the food Liz ;-) Thank you ladies for being in my life!

(disclosure here: if writing-like-you-i-talk-grammar and punctuation gone obviously not much past that of a  2nd grader (if that) bugs you beyond belief this may not be the blog for you! i don't always have time to hit the shift key i am a busy mom with 2 fulltime jobs, 2 other blogs and now this, shifts take time and I get excited often!  and often times type dot dot dot like this    ...    for reasons even i don't understand...? But I don't always have time for the shift key.  i also contradict myself on occasion. ;) and love smiles and winkies.

Sorry!!! On to the cooking (again) I promise I will absolutely not babble this much always.  I want my first post on a new forum with a new topic to be witty, informational and get-to-know-me, all at the same time.  That takes a little effort.

again...

These cinnamon rolls are probably the absolute best thing I have ever eaten.  They taste even better than they look.  SO here goes my first blog dedicated to the yummiest homemade cinnamon rolls ever!

The recipe for these came out of the Bread Maker's Apprentice Book, you should totally buy it because there are too many wonderful recipes in here for me to post them all: Rosemary Potato Bread, Lavish Crackers (which doubles as an amazing thin crust pizza dough we figured out thanks to an old friend) and because I am unwilling to go to jail for being a kitchen copyright pirate.  Prison kitchens can' be nearly as pretty and open and fun to be in as mine. And I doubt I'd have access to post what I was cooking so therefore the end of this blog.  ;)

BUY IT!  You will not be sorry!
http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bakers-Apprentice-Mastering-Extraordinary/dp/1580082688
And I will not be posting any more recipes from it. :)


This is by far one of my favorite cook books at the moment because there is just something spectacular about bread!!!  I have read online where there is a world wide group cooking though this book, one recipe per week....hmmm. Maybe just maybe.  I keep hearing about this Julia and Julie movie, maybe that will inspire me, I am going to try and rent it tomorrow. (Since typing this draft I have watched it and LOVED it!) yes I think I may be trying that, with a couple of different books I have hmmmm)

Below pictured, (as it's proofing):
Pretty amazing looking huh?!  It's much more amazing going into your mouth and then later onto the hips though isn't it? (Amazing YES! Amazing how quickly and easily it goes on VS how much work and how hard it is to get off!)  



This is one of the most wet and sweetest breads I have ever worked with, so let me warn you upfront, you will want to eat it while it's still raw and rising, it smells so succulently yummy sweet...even before you bake it.




The fact that I now know how to whip up the yummy white stuff (that there never seems to be nearly enough of in pre-packaged packs)....frightens me.  If you love it like I do (I suck the pack after I squeeze every ounce possible onto my warm buns...yes i did just type that...and i giggled)....then after I suck all I can out of the flattened pack, sometimes I will even cut it open and lick it.  Pathetic I know, but seriously it's like liquid crack to me.  It literally takes me about 45 seconds to whip it up now!  BE AFRAID!!! BE VERY AFRAID!!!



Ingredients:

6.5 TBS sugar
1tsp salt
5.5 TBS butter room temp
1 lg egg slightly beat
1tsp lemon extract or zest of 1 lemon
3.5 c bread flour (no bleach please...ewww)
2 tsp instant yeast
1.8 or 1.4 c whole milk room temp
1/2 c cinnamon sugar (6.5 TBS sugar+ 1.5 TBS ground cinnamon)

cream sugar salt butter, whip in egg & lemon til smooth.  Add Flour, yeast and milk.  Mix on low speed 10 mins. dough should be silky supple tacky not sticky.
lightly oil bowl coat ligthly with oil. Cover w/plastic wrap.

for 2 hours go play with kids, do laundry clean up the mess you just made, start a crossword puzzle, read the Word, ummm work out for 2 hours to make sure you can eat 2 of these the first day you make them!!! ;)

spray counter with oil. shape into large rectangle 2/3 in thick 14 inches wide, 12 inches long. (just a big thick rectangle) *don't roll it too thin they are so much better fatter (the 2nd time i made them I tried to make more without adding to the ingredients, keep em thick!)

sprinkle on all of the cinnamon sugar (the 1st time i thought it was too much and didn't use it all----use it all!)
Roll up into a cigar shaped log.  With seam side down cut into 8 to 12 pieces depending on how big you want them (8! 8! 8! pick 8!)  Use a sharpe knife and it helps to spray it with nonstick cooking spray here too (Joey's tip)

Line pan with baking parchment, sit buns on cooking pan 1/2 inch apart proof at room temp 75-90 minutes. til they double in size and touch.

preheat to 350 middle shelf cook 20-30 mins.
cool your buns ;)  for real... about 10 mins then streak with icing or smoother like I did.

glaze take 4 cups of powdered sugar (yes i am totally serious) 1 tsp lemon extract *next time I'm gonna do vanilla I do believe*, 6 TBS to 1/2 c warm milk (just enough to get all the white sugar melted)
WISK it all into a thick white paste then taste it. SERIOUSLY TASTE IT!!!  YUMMMMMMMM  that's what the inside of our mouths will taste like in heaven :) when you can regain enough self control to stop licking the best easiest secret of the century OMW!!! it's way too easy to make that stuff....put it on your buns and dive into one of the best things you have probably ever eaten in your life!

Then really get on Amazon and buy this book.  I have made about 6 recipes out of it and they are all AH MAZE ING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment