Wednesday, February 9, 2011

BREAKFAST PIZZA....for dinner.

Yummy.  Yummy.  Yummy.  How could you go wrong putting together 2 of the most wonderful foods ever?

Breakfast food and Pizza!

The inspiration for this dish came from the freezer section.  Back in the day, Joey and I use to find these individual pizzas that were made by Red Baron and they had all the ingredients of mine, but they were lacking something.  (and they quit making them)  My homemade gravy!

People have asked me if they could make it with gravy out of a can or a pack.  And really, you can make it how ever you want (just don't invite me to dinner) ;-).  I am lucky.  I grew up with a mama and a grandma (mema) who were gravy queens.  And this was one thing I wasn't willing to let die off with the generations before me and as I type this I realize, I have 18 and 12 year old daugthers that need to be picking this skill up! hmmm.  Now making gravy didn't come without many failed attempts first, but when I finally got it, when it finally came together and I realized you can never stop stirring, and how important getting all the flour incorporated with the grease before you EVER put the milk in.  When I finally got it, I have it.  I have had many a women in my kitchen watching me do it and cursing their failed attempts and giving up of ever making gravy.  I'll just tell you, once you get it...it's worth it.



This is one dinner that takes a little time, but if you get the pizza dough rising while you are making every thing else it's not so bad.



Ingredients:
Sausage and/or bacon cooked and drained.
Saving enough grease to make the gravy in (hey-I never claimed it was good for you, just G.O.O.D!)
Flour and milk for Homemade gravy, I would have to make a video there is no description that will ever make you get it. You just have to practice. Salt and pepper to taste.
Scramble eggs. (again...you just have to do it!)

Thin crust Pizza dough for 2 pizzas
3 cups unbleached bread flour
1 cup water
2TBS honey
2TBS veggie oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast

Mix all dry ingredients WELL.  Then add wet ones mix (if you do one spoon of oil, then one spoon of honey in that order the honey slips right off the spoon---another genius contribution from my wonderful man!) then knead approx 10 minutes.

slightly oil bowl, cover with plastic wrap 90 mins to 2 hrs. it should double in size.

transfer dough to counter on flour (we use cornmeal for a textured bottom) roll out to fit pizza pan.  (we use the large ones with holes in the bottom, they are the BOMB for pizza crusts) POKE some holes in your crust or they will bubble up like balloons!!!
cook pizza crusts at 350-375 for about 7-8 mins flip flop pans in oven (the one on the lower rack to the higher rack etc) and cook another 5-7 mins or so, some spots on crust should be a little brown looking...it should be about done before adding toppings.

Layer breakfast pizzas with gravy, eggs, meat, top mozzarella cheese and cook another 5-10 minutes until cheese is good and melted and bottom of pizza crust is browned.

Watch out!  this will become a kid favorite (and adult)  I mean seriously breakfast AND pizza.  What's not to like?

Sitting here now contemplating 1) if I have the stuff to make this at home and 2) since I'm not eating meat currently how I else I could make gravy?  This food blog may be a bad thing!  (for my figure)

Til tomorrow....
OMW!  last night I made Olive gardens Gnocchi soup!!!! Ahhhhh it's FABULOUS and if you've never had it...you should totally make your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment